We value you and your family’s dental health and wellness. The best way to have and maintain outstanding dental health is to develop positive dental hygiene habits and to have regular professional hygiene visits at our Calgary NE dental clinic.
The fact is, hardened plaque build-up, known as calculus, cannot be removed by brushing and flossing at home. So, no matter how well you are brushing and flossing, regular hygiene visits are an essential part of your long-term dental health plan.
There is a lot to accomplish in a one-hour dental hygiene appointment.
The major activity involves cleaning the teeth both above the gum line, known as scaling, and below the gum-line, known as root planing. We use both traditional hand scalers and ultrasonic scaling inserts that use vibrations to remove deposits depending on your needs and comfort level.
In addition to cleaning your teeth above and below the gum-line, your Dental Hygienist will perform a number of important checks and functions at your hygiene appointment, including:
- a periodontal assessment;
- a check for gum recession;
- a check for the presence of gingivitis
- polishing to remove any surface stain
- fluoride treatment, if chosen, to help prevent cavities from forming and harden enamel in areas that may be weakened
- an extra-oral exam at least once a year to check the head, neck and jaw areas for confirmation of health
- an intra-oral exam to check the gum tissues, tongue and lips for confirmation of health
- x-rays, when needed
You’ll also have an exam completed by your dentist and have a chance to ask any questions you might have.
Many of our patients ask our dental hygienists how they can best care for their dental health at home. Here are the top actions you can take at home to maintain your oral health.
- Brush your teeth twice daily for 2 minutes at a time using a soft or extra soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Take care not to brush too hard as this can cause root exposure, or gum recession, which can lead to tooth sensitivity and increased risk of cavities.
- Change your toothbrush every 3-6 months.
- Floss daily. Cavities often begin between the teeth where both plaque and food particles can remain trapped.
- Rinse with a fluoride-containing mouth rinse. This has proven to improve the health of gums and decrease bad bacteria.
- Watch consumption of sugars, carbohydrates and fruit juices. These types of foods breakdown into acid and weaken the teeth. Exposing the mouth to this on a daily basis can increase your risk of cavities.
How often you need a hygiene visit depends on several factors. For example, the condition of your teeth can affect the accumulation of plaque and calculus. Crowded teeth, fillings or missing teeth are all cases which can lead to increased plaque buildup.
Therefore each person will have a different dental hygiene schedule.
Though most people come in for dental hygiene appointments every6 months, some people may benefit by coming in every 3-4 months, while others might only require a hygiene appointment every 9 or even 12 months.
Our dental hygienists at Memorial Square Dental Clinic will be happy to advise you how often you should have a dental cleaning based on your individual needs.
If you have had sensitivity in the past from hygiene appointments, taking ibuprofen in advance can help with this. Dental freezing is also an option we can discuss for more serious discomfort issues.
We’re here to help you achieve your family’s dental health goals in the most comfortable way possible. No matter where your dental health is now, it’s a good time to begin on the path to establishing good dental health habits. Booking a dental hygiene appointment is the first step on that path.
Memorial Square Dental Clinic has a team of caring and gentle dentists and dental hygienists whose mission is to help you achieve your health goals.
Contact us today to book an appointment. We look forward to answering your dental hygiene questions and to helping you and your family with all of your dental health needs.